Monday, October 6, 2008

An Unexpected Weekend


We just spent the best two days....at least for the most part. I woke up a little later than usual Saturday morning (except for sleep walking in the wee hours to let the puppies out) with the intentions of painting my bedroom (yes the same one I have planned to paint for the past 4 staturdays!). Anyway, I had the worst headache. Caleb was nice and fixed me breakfast in bed, and I just wasn't motivated to do anything. Next thing I know my kids are asking - yes ASKING if we can go to General Conference. Now something is up with this I thought. I soon found out our good friends the Mears/Lilly clan had called and asked if we were coming. At that point, I didn't even try to resist so I decided in part due to the promptings of my children, and secondly out complete guilt (the prompting of the HG), to get myself out of bed and just go!

I must confess I didn't even know this was GC weekend, isn't that sad? What's worse is that I haven't been to GC in years I don't think. I mean I have tried to watch at mom and dad's or caught a session here and there, but to actualy attend all four session - and with my kids, rare! I usually have to resort to reading the talks in the Ensign. Anyhow, the kids did "pretty good" after being bribed in between sessions Saturday with Subway and driving practice in the church parking lot-Yikes! On Sunday, a visit to the park for a picnic with our friends in between sessions as the weather was gorgeous and couldn't have been a more perfect fit with conference weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed the messages from our General Authorities and Prophet and came away re-newed (until I got home with my fighting children-LOL! JK).

Elaine Dalton, YW General President had a quote that struck with as I re-called my own adversities and tirals. She counseled us to have the internal motto, "In the strength of the Lord, I can do all things." Michaela even volunteered later that she liked Sister Dalton's talk as well about a "Return to Virtue".


I have always looked forward to the simple messages and amazing stories of our beloved Prophet,Thomas S. Monson. He counseled us that this is our "one and only chance at mortal life", and that we need to distinguish between what is important and what is not and "find joy in the journey". This hit me hard. He went on to say if we "pile up enough tomorrows (I'll do it tomorrow), one day we'll find a pile of empty yesterdays and then we'll find we've run out of tomorrows". I struggle with the past. His counsel was "rather than dwelling on the past, make the most out of today". how many times have I heard that, but somehow find if hard to let go of. I think because we let stress get in the way of what is most important sometimes. He ended with a quote I want to hang on my bathroom mirror (yes, I am my mother), so i will end with the same, "Whatever hour God has blessed you with, take it with a grateful hand."

0 comments: