Saturday, May 2, 2009

Home Improvement Mommy Style!







Well since I dedicated my entire weekend last week to the kids, Carowinds, and picnics....I decided today I needed to do something to add to the upkeep of our home. I have a ton of projects and wish lists I dream about completing someday, but truth be told, I usually make the excuse I need a "man" to do them or help do them. For some of the projects this is true, but a majority I really think I could do or learn to do if I just put my mind to it. So anyway, this weekend I decided to tackle one of two bedrooms and rip the carpet out. I have hardwood floors underneath which I had professionally refinished in other parts of the house but not these two bedrooms. After some months with two new puppies and almost a year with one of them )had to give one back, too much), the carpet had to go. My first thought was I wonder if I could persuade my ex to do it, but my pride quickly shattered that, (%^$#) pride! So I was off on a mission to boost my self confidence in my ability to be a home owner and independent single woman (with kids that are little help!) I actually got up at 4:30 a.m. on a Sat. I know what your thinking, I am the bomb, getting up that early on a weekend just to get started on projects right? Are you kidding me? I am not that motivated. I actually had to take my eldest son to meet the youth for a temple trip to Colombia S.C. today then I cam back home and went back to bed. I slowly arose again around 8:30 or so, had a bowl of shredded wheat, and a momentary struggle with my lazy side who was trying to talk me out of "working". Wouldn't laying back down, or doing something fun with Joshua (only one at home today), or watch TV or movies all day be so much funner )I know that isn't a word)? As you can see, my "responsible" personality took over. But, once I started I was on a roll. Early on I felt like I could do the boys room as well, but that quickly subsided after my back and fingers stiffened from pulling up tack stripping for several hours. From start; moving furniture out, pulling up carpet and pad, to finish, pulling tack stripping, washing the floor, and moving furniture back in, I was done in about 4 hours. Proud of myself I must say. Nothing like tackling a project like this to boost your self esteem. Now for the boys room. We'll have to wait and see how long it takes to go through this whole self-talk process again - lol!

1 comments:

Tsanders said...

Aimee, I am impressed. What a job and you did great. I love the hardwood floors. I don't think I would have ever tackled that on my own. Way to go!!